End to End Ground Systems Integration & Testing Engineer (m/f/d)
- ESOC Darmstadt
SCISYS Deutschland GmbH in its Engineering Service business provides professional engineering and consultancy services supporting space programmes and missions. Our team is composed of university graduates and experienced professionals, comprising some of the most knowledgeable and dedicated engineers across Europe. Our services cover the whole life cycle of space programmes from early concepts to operations.
Our Space Division provides a dynamic, supportive and friendly atmosphere in which you are encouraged to lead with initiative. Moreover, we actively manage your professional development, training and career progression.
In 340 m2 on the ESOC ground, the End to End Ground Segment Reference Facility (E2EGSRF) is a unique facility providing a representative, reference E2E ground segment and simulated space segment. The integration and testing of ground segment elements e.g. M&C systems, ground station components etc., throughout the systems engineering lifecycle, from supplier to end-user, takes place in the E2EGSRF. Also critical mission tests, e.g. RF compatibility tests between s/c and ground stations, are performed from E2EGSRF. In addition the E2EGSRF is an environment where integration and testing of ground segment components, standards and technologies takes place at any maturity stage, allowing assessment, confidence building and risk reduction for target customer missions. The E2EGSRF is also intended as a platform for Independent Verification and Validation, both at ground segment subsystem and system level, if required.
For the last 2 years, the Engineering Development Laborty project (EDLab) has been carried out in ESOC with the main aim of enhancing the exploitation of the E2EGSRF as a representative environment where Ground Segment components can be deployed and tested, both at subsystem level and integrated configurations involving different subsystem components, up to a complete E2E Ground Segment.
The primary objective is to improve the quality of the Ground Systems Engineering deliverables, through the identification and solution of problems, both at system and interface level, as early as possible in the products lifecycle, prior to their usage in a mission specific context. The availability of a representative reference environment also allows easier reproduction and investigation of problems identified in the mission context and reduction of the effort required for tests setup and regression testing.
The capability to collect and deploy mission specific configurations on each component of this environment in an automated and reliable manner has been already developed and an operationally representative environment has been set up using few mission baselines. In addition to the availability of a representative environment, the improvement of the quality of the ground systems requires further enhancement of the specification of the tests executed in such environment to better address the needs and expectations of the missions.
Ground Segment engineering and operational experience is therefore an essential requirement to achieve this objective. In this respect the ultimate goal is the production and validation of a E2EGSRF Reference Test Plan consisting of well defined, automatable, and operationally realistic test cases. To this end the currently existing reference test plan shall be further enhanced and evolved towards full comprehensiveness and maturity. While working in the current ground systems baseline, the service provided will also be critical to evolve the E2EGSRF towards already on-going and future ground systems developments, including new baselines and developments e.g. TTCP and EGOS-CC.
This service shall support the EDLab project by providing integration andtest services for ground s systems in the End to End Ground Segment Reference Facility.
The main tasks to be accomplished according to applicable standards and guidelines by the service providers are:
- Definition of test environment and test data
- Support to the definition and deployment of the different test assemblies and configuration
- Support the investigation of test failures
- Troubleshooting of identified problems
- Verification of problem resolution after correction (patch, upgrade…)
- Support the deployment of new/patched systems
- Support the coherent configuration of the different systems
- Support industry and internal customers
- Provision of operational and technical expertise
- Usage of the SDE to record test plans and reports
- Usage of Sharepoint to keep configuration control of the EDLab documentation
- Complement, update, adapt existing generic mission representative test cases
- design and document new test cases
- Execution of tests
- Support test automation
- Provision of test plans, test reports
- Maintenance of the test plan
- Issue SPRs and support Software Review Board meetings
- Maintain and update databases
- Provide regular activity reports
- The service requires hands-on experience on on-going operations, definition and execution of test cases, as well as knowledge of the main systems constituting the Ground Segment.
- Ability to understand and accurately predict behaviour of Ground Segment systems
- Service provision will be exclusively in English
- Well-organised, able to prioritise and manage several activities in parallel
- Familiarity with the relevant ground segment systems and associated test environment
- Familiarity with the relevant programming/scripting languages (e.g. C++, Java, Python)
- Experience in working in an operational environment
- Familiarity with the ESOC working environment and Quality Management System (QMS)
- Knowledge of ground engineering and operations
With SCISYS you get the chance to take responsibility for your own and varied professional activities, while there is always room for producing new ideas and contributing your personality.
Get to know a corporate culture where team spirit, trust and dedication are the core values
Short decision paths, flexible working hours and a good reconciliation of work and everyday life are a matter of course for us
Tel: +49 (0)61514285330