Space Debris Engineer (m/f/d)
- ESOC Darmstadt
SCISYS Deutschland GmbH in its Engineering Service business provides professional engineering and consultancy services supporting space programmes and missions. Our team is composed of university graduates and experienced professionals, comprising some of the most knowledgeable and dedicated engineers across Europe. Our services cover the whole life cycle of space programmes from early concepts to operations.
Our Space Division provides a dynamic, supportive and friendly atmosphere in which you are encouraged to lead with initiative. Moreover, we actively manage your professional development, training and career progression.
The key person in the service role will primarily be involved in the following tasks:
- Support mission customers for the compliance verification analysis task
- Contribute to mission milestone reviews for compliance aspects w.r.t. mitigation guidelines
- Perform, in support of missions, runs with DRAMA, Scarab and Snappshot and document the results
- Follow-up external research, as well as internal Research Fellow and NPI activities and plan/adapt internal work accordingly
- Support CDF sessions
- Support the definition of the studies for GSTP and other ESA study programs in the area of space debris.
- Provide Training on OPS-SD software and processes to internal and external trainees also in training sessions not organised by ESA
- Routine operation of ESA’s conjunction event prediction system for internal and external customers (apart from Copernicus missions)
- Detailed analysis and consultancy in the case of a high-risk conjunction event in liaison with the Flight Control Teams, external customers and Flight Dynamics
- Contributions to the Maintenance, evolution and upgrade of ESA’s conjunction event prediction system and documentation
- Contributions to the evolution and Upgrade of ESA’s DISCOS database system and systems based thereon
- Contribute the ESA’s re-entry forecasting process
- Standby for project support in the areas of Cleanspace and SSA, and the upcoming Space Safety Programme
- Support to the interfacing with external entities, such as CSpOC for the analysis of conjunction events
- Participate to the offices regular monthly infrastructure coordination meetings
- Participate to the office’s monthly routine meeting
- Present and promote ESA achievements recent research and work performed at the space debris office at international conferences (once per year), and support related public relation or outreach activities
- Support the organisation of conferences and workshops, and run space debris office demonstration towards VIP tours in the space debris facility
- Provision of technical expertise to the ESA Technical Responsible in responding to TV, broadcast and newspaper interview requests on space debris.
In order to successfully deliver the service the key person should be familiar with:
- A high degree of independence
- Understand the way the CDF works
- Understand the way the IADC works
- Understand the way the SSA/Space Safety Program works
- Negotiation skills
- Coordinate Systems and Reference Frames
- Orbital Mechanics
- System engineering
- Space Debris Matters (observation, modelling, mitigation, risk assessment)
- Orbit determination aspects
- Space surveillance techniques and principles
- Re-entry aerothermodynamics principles and tools
- Software engineering
- Public Relations and Media Interviews
- Versioning systems and configuration management
- Database systems, in particular the use of SQL in postgreSQL
- Basic understanding of the hardware (PCs, RAID, back up mechanisms …)
- Ensuring a seamless operation of the software systems in routine processes, retrieval of the necessary data
- On-call support in line with the technical requirements.
- Relevant university degree in the field of either astronomy, mathematics, engineering, or physics
- Skills to apply knowledge to develop solutions to technical (mathematical and dynamical) problems in cooperation with customers and other experts
- The ability to define, implement, validate and operate software which applies the above solutions (using at least Linux scripting languages, Fortran, C++, Python)
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in English, both in speech and writing
- Coordinate and interact with other service providers in associated fields as well as (internal and external) customers of services provided by the Space Debris Office.
- The ability to work independently
- Familiar with the ESOC environment
- Familiar/experienced with Space Debris tasks
- Experience in dealing with external interfaces
- Experience with Linux, network services and protocols, and system administration
- The ability to multi-task efficiently; working on multiple activities; multiple missions simultaneously.
With SCISYS you get the chance to take responsibility for your own and varied professional activities, while there is always room for producing new ideas and contributing your personality.
Get to know a corporate culture where team spirit, trust and dedication are the core values
Short decision paths, flexible working hours and a good reconciliation of work and everyday life are a matter of course for us
Tel: +49 (0)61514285330