Mission Control Applications & Maintenance Engineer (m/f/d)
- EUMETSAT Darmstadt
SCISYS Deutschland GmbH in its Engineering Service business provides professional engineering and consultancy services supporting space programmes and missions. Our team is composed of university graduates and experienced professionals, comprising some of the most knowledgeable and dedicated engineers across Europe. Our services cover the whole life cycle of space programmes from early concepts to operations.
Our Space Division provides a dynamic, supportive and friendly atmosphere in which you are encouraged to lead with initiative. Moreover, we actively manage your professional development, training and career progression.
Within EUMETSAT the MCAT (Mission Control Applications and Tools Team) is responsible for the maintenance and evolution of all Satellite and Ground Segment M&C applications and tools including M&C kernel, M&C archive, Flight Dynamics, Mission Planning functions and the M&C-related tools.
The tasks of the candidate will be mainly related to software maintenance activities including analysis and fixing of problems, engineering changes, including software requirements specification and design and technical support of operational users.
Within the scope of engineering of non-corrective maintenance, the following tasks will be performed:
- Participation in detailed design and feasibility analysis for the migration of legacy systems to new platform including analysis of existing system requirements, interface and design documentation. Documentation of the impact on other systems, users and maintenance, including the production of system verification test plans.
- Generation and/or analysis of user-driven and maintenance-driven software requirements, generation of the corresponding engineering change proposals, software design of the technical solutions, following the procurement of the changes with external contractors and verification testing of the changes;
Routine/Corrective Maintenance Tasks
Within the scope of corrective and routine maintenance, the following tasks will be performed:
- Perform corrective maintenance interventions, involving investigations and troubleshooting of raised anomalies (AR), testing of software correction and formal verification of application enhancements (ECP);
- Update and maintain a set of standard documents with each software delivery reflecting changes and improvements made (if any) with particular attention to the verification test plan, architectural design, interface control documents, user guides and any other identified/affected relevant document;
- Takeover responsibility for routine delivery verification, in particular for coordinating the production of the release note, verification procedures, verification test report and, in overall, support conduction and execution of verification tests;
- Review, update and maintain Operational baseline documentation covered by the maintenance activity;
- Execution and coordination of software verification and non-regression testing campaigns.
- Overall consultancy for the Operational end-users of the maintained applications software;
- Contribute to the preparation and provision of training material covering usage and maintenance aspects of the application software.
In addition to having a university degree or equivalent in a related discipline, the candidate shall have the following skills/experience.
Software Development, Verification & Maintenance Experience
- Proven experience (2 - 3 years) in the full cycle of development and maintenance of application software, preferably for Mission Control Systems, following formal software engineering processes, including user and system requirements analysis, software requirement engineering, software design, implementation, corrective and evolutive maintenance activities;
- Proven experience (2 - 3 years) in IV&V (integration, verification and validation) activities, preferably for Mission Control Systems, following formal engineering processes including requirement verification, system and subsystem integration, generation of test plan, non-regression testing, generation of test data, generation of test tools, running the test procedures on the target system, generation of test reports and anomaly tracking.
Software Technology Experience
- Demonstrated experience in designing and developing software applications using C++ and Java programming languages for Linux and/or Windows Operating Systems;
- Generic scripting experience (e.g. csh/tcsh/bash/perl).
- Experience in the definition of software requirements, architectural design, implementation, integration and maintenance of space systems;
- Knowledge and understanding of space-related standards (ECSS and CCSDS) concerning space-to-ground interfaces and applicable to Satellite Mission Control Systems.
Software Technology Experience
- Experience in using IBM Rational DOORS as system and software requirement and management tool;
- Experience in the usage of software CASE design tools (e.g. Enterprise Architect and/or MagicDraw);
- Experience with Unified Modelling Language (UML) in software design.
- Quickly adapt to changes in assignments;
- Build processes and systems knowledge by proactively communicating and sharing ideas and solutions with others;
- Conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner;
- Encourage a friendly and cooperative working environment.
- With SCISYS you get the chance to take responsibility for your own and varied professional activities, while there is always room for producing new ideas and contributing your personality. Moreover, we actively manage your development.
- Get to know a corporate culture where team spirit, trust and dedication are the core values.
- Short decision paths, flexible working hours and a good reconciliation of work and everyday life are a matter of course for us.
Tel: +49 (0)61514285330